Saturday July 31st, 2004|
Inventoried Wing Kit; Started Spar Prep
Last night we threw a party for Michael (the guy that helped me Thursday) to congratulate him on a new job, so I didn't get anything done. Today I started inventorying and putting everything away.
On Thursday, I mentioned that it didn't look like there was a whole lot in there. Well, that was before I picked the spars up out of the box. The fuselage longerons were under there, along with a million other things. There are A LOT of pieces to these wings...and everything seems to have a zillion holes in it.
I took the hardware bag above into the kitchen and organized everything into containers.
Here's the inventory list. Yes, this took forever.
Here are some of the skins in the bottom of the crate. I thought this was interesting because I hadn't seen this color vinyl coating on anyone else's kit before. Interesting...
This was interesting. It's the lense(s) for the tips. Yes, you've gotta cut this thing down the middle to get two lenses...this should be a nerve-racking process.
After finishing up the inventory, I started work on prepping the spars. First order of business was to check the spars carefully. These things are absolutely flawless on this side. The other side however...
Another shot. These things are so well done.
Here you can see that the people that build these spars are not perfect. There are several spots on the spars like this where they cleaned up scratches.
And here are some places and a scratch that was never fixed. I'll clean this one up and prime over it.
They cleaned up a lot here...
Now this is something that concerns me. You can see where they scribed some sort os serial number on the 'reinforcement' part of the web and then did a crappy job of grinding it out and rescribed it on the inner part of the web. This tells me that they probably were supposed to scribe it on the inner part and someone screwed up and put it on the other part. Oh well, Van's will get an e-mail/call about this Monday.
After inspection of the spars (which is still questionable) I decided to go ahead and continue prepping them. I countersunk for the platenuts and Jaime came out and helped me by putting a cleco on one side and a rivet on the other side with a piece of tape over it. Made the riveting go much faster.
I've decided to follow the plans here. Many people deviate from them but I decided that the plans were working well for me here.
Basically the plans have you rivet the platenut on THEN use a #30 countersink and microstop to countersink for the tank attach screw. It works well enough for me.
Well, Jaime and I were working along very quickly and then a little hiccup. I broke the #40 countersink! Arrghhh! I went ahead and finished riveting the platenuts where I had already countersunk for the rivets.
Here you can sort of (sorry for the blurry picture) get the idea of what I was doing. The platenut is inside and serves as a guide for the #30 countersink. Tomorrow Jaime and I are probably going to run down to Spruce and get a new countersink bit.
It's going to be really nice since Aircraft Spruce East just opened down at Peachtree City. I'll be able to get most things from now on the same day instead of having to wait several days and paying out the wazoo for shipping....