Tuesday September 21st, 2004|
Started Right Wing Leading Edge
Today was a long, stressful day at the office funding the project. ;-)
Anyway, when I finally got home, I started by finishing drilling the left wing leading edge to finish size. Then I started clecoing the right wing leading edge together.
Boy, this thing was much harder to get together than the left wing leading edge. My guess is because the prebent skin is just the slightest bit off. Oh well...it eventually came together...
But not before I ruinined about 5 NEW clecos I just got today from Cleveland. I'm not so sure about the quality of these things. The reason? Well, they're just every-so-slightly larger than the original ones I had. I don't know why. They're all supposed to be 3/32...but..who knows. Also, they seem to be less rigid than the others...as you can see above. Arghghgh!!!!!
But it was all worth it to see it clocod on the wing. Yes...this is so sweet!
One thing that really suprises me about these wings is how short they really are. They're not really that short, but the long chord makes them appear that way.
And the view from the driveway just for posterity's sake.
Oh yeah...here's how the tiedown ring attaches (left wing shown). The predilled hole in the skin (not visible behind the AEX angle stock) gets drilled out to 3/8 and the tiedown ring gets screwed into the threaded angle.
Yes, I'm still missing one AN3-7A bolt. It's on it's way along with the inboard most leading edge rib for the right wing that I slightly missdrilled.
(please excuse the aluminum shavings that are everywhere)