Sunday December 19th, 2004|
Riveted Left Leading Edge
This morning was the normal Sunday church stuff and then Jaime and I went out and riveted together the leading edge of the left wing. She shot while I bucked. She did her absolute best riveting to date. Very consistant...
Then I put the LE and the tank on the spar to check alignment. Looks pretty good, but not perfect. I still need to remove a bit a tank sealant that's interfering with the joint plate...but I'll do that after I get the leading edges riveted on to the spars.
The only thing that sort of concerns me is that there is a little 'oil canning' between a couple of ribs. I think it's probably just because the top holes in the spar aren't countersunk and nothing is really lining up really well. Tomorrow I'll probably countersink the spar flanges and maybe start dimpling the left top skins.
Starting Wednesday I'm taking off until after New Years and I'm doing nothing but working on the project during my 'vacation'. My goal is to have the wings out of the jigs and into a 'rolling cradle' by the new year (I shouldn't have any problems doing this, but you never know). The fuselage arrives in February so the wing completion goal is in February.