Tuesday February 1st, 2005|
Finished Riveted Aileron Brackets, Right Flap Brace
Today I receive my AN470AD5-7 rivets that I'm using in a couple of holes on the brackets that I enlarged beyond being able to use a AN470AD4, so I went out and riveted on the aileron brackets. It was quite a pain. The 5 rivets really need a 4x gun to set, but I don't have one. The 3x works, but the 4x would definately be better for this application.
After filling the empty holes with rivets I riveted on the aileron gap seal. This thing is dirt easy since you can squeeze most of the rivets in it.
If you look at the outboard-most aileron bracket you'll see that there is a spot that is a bit polished. That's where I hit it will the drill chuck while drilling out a bad rivet and then smoothed out the scratches with the scotchbrite wheel on an angle die grinder. I'll need to slap a little primer on this the next time I mix up a batch.
Then I went and deburred the right outboard bottom skin...but I'm tired so that's it for tonight.
The only thing left to do is finish dimpling the bottom skins, prime them, clean the inside of the wing and rivet the bottom skins on. I may decide to go ahead and mount the aileron bellcranks before the bottom skins, but we'll see.