Thursday March 10th, 2005|
Unpacking/Inventorying Fuselage Kit
Today I had aimed to work on the flaps...but the garage was way too messy for that...so I decided to go ahead and inventory and put away the fuselage compoenents. Here's the stainless firewall. I was surprised to see how flimsy this thing is. I mean, I know it's super strong with all the angles/etc. attached but it was still not quite what I was expecting.
Jaime took this picture of me putting skins away. Yes, I felt like I was drowning in a sea of paper and parts! But I love it! This picture is a little blurry (our camera takes crappy pictures when the batteries are running low!), but I'm grinning from ear to ear here.
I decided that I would try the pre-punched panel, since when I ordered my fuselage I was considering using all steam guages. I may end up using the Dynon D-10A EFIS & EMS which means that I won't use this. Anyway....it looked a little odd to me....and I looked closer..
Yep...check out the oxidation on this thing.
And there's a little oxidation here on the bottom flange...
...and here with the plastic removed you can see the oxidation around the holes. It seems that the oxidation occured where the blue vinyl just BARELY pulled away from the metal and allowed moisture to collect under there.
This isn't that big of a deal, since that's what alumiprep is for! I guess Van's doesn't sell a whole lot of these things so this one's probably been sitting around on a shelf for quite a while.
Anyway...the camera batteries finally died but Jaime and I continued the inventory but didn't finish. I think we have 3 out of 8 inventory pages left but most of these are hardware bags and they don't take that long to go through. I also carried all the fuselage skins up stairs and stored them in the room with the empennage. This is what I did for the wings and it worked well just bringing the skins down as I need them.