Friday April 1st, 2005|
Installed Left Flap Brace and Left Flap
Today after work I cooked up a couple of steaks on the grill, then I sat out to get the left flap installed. I started by drilling the flap hinge to the spar. I didn't actually drill it with the flap on (as the picture would imply), but I sat the flap up there afterward to make sure that the hinge would still go in. This hinge was a little tigher than the right one...but I got it in without too much trouble.
After drilling out the hinge, I needed to remove the flap brace 'cause of my screwup (see the last few entires). All this waste is from the drilled out rivets. The pop-rivet shaft you see was used to push out the three inboard-most rivets after I pryed the head off. I light tap on the shaft with a hammer removed the rivets with no problem whatsoever.
I countersunk the flap brace, dimpled the skins with my pneumatic squeezer, then riveted the flap brace to the spar with the pop rivets. I actually came up a little short on these pop-rivets...so I just left a couple of holes empty for now. I've already ordered the rivets and I should get them in early next week and I just put 'em in then.
Here you can see the flap hinge alignment, for whatever that's worth.
And here you see the alignment of the aileron and the flap. Pretty good if I do say so myself!