Tuesday June 28th, 2005|
Finished Bending Longerons; Drilled Aft Canopy Decks
Wow...actual work on the project today!
After a short vacation to Florida and a long day yesterday of work and orchestra, I managed to get out into the garage tonight. I started out by finishing some final touches on the longeron bending.
Next I started drilling the aft canopy decks. The plans have you tape a piece of .032 to simulate the side skins (the deck overlaps the side skin) so I used a long piece of .032 scrap that came with the wings.
Anyway....after a while I had both decks drilled to the longerons. These things get modified for the specific canopy type that you're installing (tip-up or slider) and I still need to make that modification...but it's already too late for the whirring sound of air tools.
So next I started looking at how I'm going to install longerons. As I often do, I looked over at Dan Checkoway's site to see if he had any issues here..and indeed he did. The notches cut out in the bulkheads are not big enough...and I confirmed that I have the same problem on mine...so I'll probably take a Dremel tool to notches.