Thursday July 28th, 2005|
More Fuselage Deburring, Dimpling/Countersinking
So the fuselage continues to come back apart. I remove the lower and aux longerons and the gussets and deburred/countersunk them.
Here is the stack of pieces as I go. Boy...there are a lot of things here. The good thing about these pieces is that they're all unique so I don't have to worry about marking them...it's easy to figure out where they go later.
After getting the lower longerons and aux longerons ready for the priming process, I removed the firewall and lowered it down. I deburred all the aluminum pieces of the firewall and started deburring the stainless, but got frustrated and decided to come back to it later. I'm also not sure if I need to dimple the firewall flanges now or wait 'till later. Also, I need to figure out if I need to go ahead and dimple the skin where it attaches to the stainless. I know that the hinges for attaching the cowling go here, but if you bolt/rivet the steel brackets in, how you can get to it later to dimple? Well, you can't. I need to do more research in this area before dimpling the side skins.
Next I removed the side skins, leaving the baggage stuff in place so I could investigate the space behind there. Per the plans, the rear baggage side panel gets pop-riveted into place. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to make it removeable too. I don't really see a reason to. There's not a whole lot of space behind there, so why would I ever need to get there? You can't really put much in there anyway because the rudder cable passes through the middle, so anyway..I'll probably rivet it in place. The bottom flange of this thing will get drilled for platenuts for the removeable floor.
Then I unclecoed everything and somehow managed to lower down the center section by myself without damaging it. Then I pulled the longerons out and deburred and countersunk them. Holy cow!!! There are a million holes in those things. To put it into perspective, the longerons are about 15 feet long and use 1 inch rivet spacing. That's 180 holes just on the vertical side of the longeron, then there are about 30 holes or so for the canopy deck...so that's about 210 holes to countersink/deburr per longeron.
Next I rolled the aft fuselage over to get ready to deburr/dimple the top row of holes that mate to the longerons.
And here's what I left for later. This stuff still needs to get deburred/dimpled/whatever. I also need to do the above-mentioned mods to the baggage sidewall covers for the removeable baggage floors.