Sunday October 9th, 2005|
Left Gear Weldment if FINALLY IN!
Yesterday we had the EAA B-17 fly in to LZU and Jaime and I were pretty much busy all day volunteering, so there was nothing done on the airplane.
If you've read my last entry you may be wondering what the heck I was talking about doing with the Super-Fil, drill, etc. Well, I had every intention of calling Van's on Monday morning and ordering all of the taildragger parts. This was due to my frustration with the weldments. Since the taildragger mains get attached to sockets on the engine mount, there are no gear leg weldments in the fuselage. At the airport yesterday there were a few taildraggers around, including an RV-3. Looking at these airplanes, I really decided that the tri-gear is the airplane I want and have wanted all along. All this just reaffirmed my decision and I'm sure I'm making the right one for me at this moment. Anyway, I came out today and decided to take it slow and very methodically with the weldments. I started out by removing the right one and then super-glueing this washer into place on the weldment. The washer acts as spacer, so the super glue is just to hold it there while I put the weldment back in, etc.
Not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but I drilled the right weldment before I actually had it sitting flush on the center section web, which means the holes along the lower longeron/gear attach web are now a little off. I'm considering drilling the holes out (possibly with a slightly larger bit) and using close tolerance bolts. Anyway...I'm pretty happy with the right weldment (bolt problem aside), so I went ahead and moved on to the left weldment. And then....
[queue Handel's Messiah!]
The left weldment went in without pre-loading anything.
Ok, so it turned out really small, but in the center of this picture there's a red arrow. The arrow points to the rivet that was interfering with the weldment. You can sort of see how I had to file down the weldment a bit. Anyway, if you're having problems getting the weldment in, be sure to check that rivet. I'm still not satisfied with the weldments. I need to get them sitting completely flush against the spar web. Some on the Vansairforce forums have suggested countersinking the holes to fit around the rivets to get them completely flush. I'll probably give that a try tomorrow.