Monday April 17th, 2006|
Cut Instrument Panel
Yep...cut the instrument panel. This past Saturday I borrowed the instrument punch tool from our EAA chapter. I drilled the hole for the bolt, put the dies on each side and starting tightening it. I didn't have a long socket so I couldn't get a lot of leverage on it so I was unable to twist the die the last little bit. Yesterday afternoon Jaime and I went over to her parents' house to do the whole Easter thing and her dad loaned me a big huge wrench. Jaime was holding the table and I started tightening it down and the bolt snaped in two. Jaime thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen. I really wasn't applying that much pressure but it just went. So today after work I went up to the store and purchased another bolt and a new nut and this time made sure to put lubriplate on the nut side of the die. Worked like a champ. Got through all six holes. Yes...I'm meaning to leave the two places open on the bottom left and right. The bottom left is going to get switches, the bottom right the LED trim indicators (I'm using the Dynon EMS which doesn't have trim indicators). I also spent a little while cutting out the hole for the radios. I used a regular old sabre saw with a metal blade and it worked like a champ. I'm a little nervous about drilling the screw holes. Should make for an interesting experiment.