Sunday November 19th, 2006|
Trimmed Top Cowl
Ok, today I got a good bit done on the cowl. The first order of business was to cut out the camlock receptacle strips that will get riveted to the firewall. Then I drilled them and clecoed them into place.
Making and drilling the strips took quite a while so it deserves two pictures. :-)
Next I drew a 2-inch reference line on the side skins and front deck skin, then starting fitting the top cowl. I took my time with this to get it as perfect as possible.
And here's the top cowl fitted and taped into place and marked the edge.
...and voila. Top cowl is trimmed and I pretty much nailed it. I'm mostly happy with the way this came out.
Here you can see the top cowl in place...
..and here's another shot. I spent a while with a calculator trying to figure out the exact spacing I'm going to use. I think with a low pressure area on top of the cowl and a high pressure area on the inside of the cowl (due to cooling air entering inlets) I think I'm going to use slighter tighter spacing across the top than on the sides.