Thursday November 30th, 2006|
Oil Fillter Door
Today I worked late (day job) but I did manage to get out into the garage for a little while. I measured and cut the oil access door. If you follow the plans in this area, the hinge is riveted to the cowl and the pin sticks up. It's not bad looking, but I think I can do better. I have a couple of old pictures that I took of a Cessna oil door that uses a piano hinge but is hidden, so I'm basically copying those pictures. Should come out OK. I'm probably going to use the regular camlock (thumb screwed) fasteners that come with the kit.
And while I had the top cowl off I decided to check the clearance between the cowl and alternator. Yep..that should be fine. After the engine settles a little bit it may get too close. The circle on the cowl is an area where there is no honeycomb core. This is so you can put a small 'blister' in the cowl if you need more clearance for your alternator.
And here's a random picture of the engine with the top cowl removed. I need to borrow Scott's camlock tool so I can go ahead and start installing those things in the strips.