Sunday December 3rd, 2006|
More Cowl Stuff
Today I started out by laying up a little glass to bring to bottom front of the bottom cowl to match the upper cowl. The left side is a little worse than the right so it got a few more layers.
And here's the other side of the cowl. You can also see that I'm patching the hole in the top cowl that I mentioned the other day. I'll need to wait until tomorrow before this stuff is fully cured.
And here's you can see the camlock mounting strip. I drilled the holes using a drill jig that Mike Stewart made. The jig that Skybolt gives you is useless as the holes are full-size. Anyway...after drilling the holes for the fasteners I measured and cut out the slots along the top to help to cowl lay down better. It's just about perfect but there's still some bulging in the corners. I imagine that's to be suspected.
Yesterday I went to the EAA 690 pancake breakfast and there was a very beautiful RV-7 there. There was also an RV-4 and Mike Stewart's RV-8. Looking closely at their cowls you really see that it's all about the big picture with this thing. You can't obsess about every gap being perfectly uniform, etc.