Tuesday December 5th, 2006|
More Cowl Build-ups; Engine Controls
I worked late tonight so I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the project, but I did manage to get out and add a couple more layups to the front of the lower cowl. I'm actually writing this update on the following day and in the morning I pulled the peel ply and it looks fantastic. One more small layup on the left side and then I can fill with cotton flox and sand. I'm really proud that this is coming out OK.
Next I installed the engine control bracket back onto the panel. I'm a little concerned about the location of the throttle. The bracket is installed in the exact center of the panel. The hole on the right is for the alt air cable. I'm seriously considering moving the controls over to the right and putting the alt air on the left side. It feels to me like the prop control is in the ideal position for the throttle. The only caveat to moving it is it means I'm going to have to also most the flap switch. I can probably just plug that hole (they have Nylon plus at the local ace hardware). Who knows...I really want to just leave it as it is, but on the other hand I know that I will probably want it moved. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except for the fact that the throttle cable diameter is smaller than the prop and mixture, which means I will need to put a doubler plate on the back side of the bracket and redrill a smaller diameter hole. You'll see what I'm talking about.