Saturday February 24th, 2007|
Inlets; Baffle Trim and Reinforcement Angles
Today I set out to make some serious progress on the baffles. First order of business today was to get these inlet filler things drilled to the top cowl. Believe it or not, the top cowl has a tendency to flex quite a bit so the plans recommend that you drill these in place. Well, that's terribly easy with all the baffling, etc. in place. The plans are very lax on explaining exactly where these things go...I think it's just important that you get them in there. I'll probably smooth out the transition to that thing at some point. I figure it might help cooling but I doubt seriously it could hurt anything.
Here you can see where I drilled the inlet fillers to the cowl. I did this in situ on the plane.
After it was drilled I started trimming down the front. I had always wondered what caused the little curve at the front of the baffling but it's to provide clearance for the inlets. This one picture represents probably more than an hour of trimming.
Next I turned my attention to the oil cooler mount. I struggled a bit with whether to place the oil cooler on the baffle or on the firewall, but in the end I decided that putting it on the baffles would be easier and less prone to my screwing up. This is after the rough cut that I made with my cut-off wheel. If I were to do another instrument panel ever (I probably will, for this plane or the next) I will use the cut-off wheel to cut the radio stack hole. This worked so well. Again...that's the rough cut you see here. I dressed it up after this photo.
Next is this little angle doohickey that helps to reinforce this area. Also notice the .040 angle that I made that gets riveted into that corner.
Jaime came out later and got this picture of me epoxying the inlets into place. The plans have you install the top cowl to let this epoxy set up.
So I put rags over the engine and baffles to prevent the epoxy from dripping all over everything.