Saturday April 14th, 2007|
Canopy Lift Struts Installed
Today I got the canopy lift struts installed. Believe it or not, it took pretty much all day to get that simple task done. I had a pretty bad day in the shop. This morning I had to go get a bit so I could tap for the 5/16 ball screws. Then I came back and broke my band saw blade! Arghghg...had to drive to Home Depot and two Lowes to find a metal (high tpi blade). Anyway...it's all in and it all works so I'm happy.
This is a video of the canopy struts working. You'll see that they actually retract all the way then start expanding a little bit as the canopy closes the last few inches. You'll see...just hit play. Also...don't give me any grief about the daylight that shows when the canopy is closed. It looks good from the outside and I'm going to seal it up so it's really not a big deal. Also...nevermind the black electrical tape residue. I'll get it off later.
Ok...here's a gratuitous shot with the canopy open.
Here's something I really hadn't thought about before. The canopy has a gap here all the way to the inside. I looked back at the plans and I did this right...I guess that's just the way it goes. I may be able to put some sort of seal on the canopy side skirt to fill in the gap. It's not a big concern. I'll probably just worry about it when I start getting cold. :-)