Monday April 23rd, 2007|
Misc. Wing Stuff
Ok, gotta finish getting the wings ready to rivet. I've been putting off doing some of this stuff in a while. First order of business was to get Jaime to help me lift the right wing and set it top down on a blanket on the floor.
The first thing I wanted to do was to replace my fuel pickup tubes. The first ones I did were absolutely horrible. I had a tubing bender that worked worth crap. I knew all along I would be replacing them with the Van's pre-made ones before first flight, so please don't give me any smack about the old one. Here you can see them both for comparison. I checked before hand to make sure that they extended down the same amount and they are virtually the same 'depth'.
You can see here where I dimpled the tank skin and installed nutplates on the tank for the fairing attach. This is something I have been meaning to do for a while but couldn't because I couldn't reach the holes in the wing cradle and I didn't have room to lay out the wings on the floor to do it.
So here's the new pickup installed. I also drilled a hole in the anti-rotation bracket and safetied the pickup tube's nut per Van's SB 06-2-23. The nut comes pre-drilled for this. One thing I did differently was to drill a #40 hole in the anti-rotation bracket to safety the nut.
Here I am drilling the nutplate holes for the left wing. I'll have to finish the top holes for the right wing when the left wing is on the floor. Yeah...I know that probably doesn't make sense...but I'm really too tired to explain it right now. :-)