Sunday July 15th, 2007|
Misc, Drilled Elevator Horns
I started out today working on the emp fairing some more. I removed the vertical stab (it was only clecoed on) and drilled all of the holes in the horizontal and vertical stabs for nutplates. Here's some advice for new builders -- get #6 and #8 nutplate jigs and you'll never regret it. They're awesome little tools and make work like this go so much faster. Anyway...after getting everything drilled and countersunk with my battery powered drill I tried to fire up the compressor but the breaker was off for it and the drain was missing out of the bottom. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with it or if someone decided they didn't like me using it.
Oh well, instead I spent a while finishing up the drilling of the elevator horns and temporarily connecting it to the pushrod. It's really neat to see all of that work. I need to bring out my compressor and install all the emp fairing attaach nutplates, final install the v-stab, balance the elevators, check the elevator travel limits (I know it's off, particularly the down movement), final install the pushrods and install the rudder. If I don't hit any snags I should be able to knock that out in one evening.
Oh yeah, an astute observer will note the unpainted -7A sitting behind mine. There's an avionics shop in the hangar and they're working on some radio issues with that plane. Apparently the owner paid someone to build it for him and now he has a simple radio problem that he can't fix. The build quality isn't "bad" per se but you can tell there wasn't a lot of love and devotion put into the project.