Saturday August 2nd, 2008|
Home From Oshkosh
Today we returned from Oshkosh. It was an interesting trip and honestly I'm a little tired.
Here are my basic impressions:
1) Too much emphasis on non-aviation related stuff. Ford, John Deere, people selling pots and pans...need I say more?
2) Too many vehicles running around the grounds. Holy crap..gators, golf-carts, and big box trucks everywhere. They SERIOUSLY need to limit the number of vehicles allowed on the grounds!
3) Some of the attractions were cool...I finally got to see a V-22 Osprey fly. Saw a U2, etc. Very interesting.
4) Enjoyed the camaraderie with my fellow EAA 690 buds. Great folks, great times.
5) Bendix King dared show up at another EAA function. Those people won't lift a finger to help a homebuilder install one of their units!
6) If you bring a little one to the show, be sure to bring some hearing protection. The jets are loud.
7) Approach and landing at OSH was no biggie...people make a big deal out of it but we had no problem whatsoever. We did the 135kt approach at 2300ft. No desire to get down low, slow and heavy at 90kts/1800ft.
8) Departure was dead-butt simple, but they put me behind an Aeronca on departure. Passed him on the left like he was sitting still.
9) You have to make a trip to Ardy and Ed's drive-in. Google it. It's like stepping back into the 50's, but is completely not cheesy like you may expect. Really neat place, really cheap icecream!
10) I would recommend 4I7 for gas. Cheapest gas I've seen...great FBO with a hotel and restaurant! FBO is run by Dixie Chopper (yes the lawn mower company). It is a model for all FBOs.
11) I would love to build a -10. It will be necessary if we wish to continue traveling by air as a family. We are planning on one more child so who knows. If I start now the plane may be ready to the time both kids can remember it. The alternative is to buy a share in a 4-seat airplane.
I don't mean to come off like I am complaining...really it was a good time but these are just the things that came to mind.
More photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/painterjd/Oshkosh2008
Oh yeah...did I mention how cool this airplane is??? It was 3.7 hours back, even with a fuel stop. If we would have left Wisconsin with full fuel we could have gone non-stop. This plane is great! We were home (meaning our house) by 1pm!
Now, time for a nap.