Friday September 17th, 2004|
Started Left Wing Leading Edge
Today I went and built this leading edge cradle as described by the plans. This thing is basically used to hold the leading edge and tank assemblies while clekoing, riveting, etc.
The plans tell you to cleko the top first, then the bottom...all in the cradle. It was too hard to reach the leading edge holes, get everything lined up, etc. So my technique was to first cleko to the top then put it in the stand and cleko the bottom.
Hmm....Jaime caught visually inspecting alignment.
Left leading edge in cradle.
Then you just sit the thing up on the main spar and start putting clekos in. This thing fit like a glove. The inboard-most rib is not pre-punched and must be match-drilled with the tank joint plate from the holes in the skin.
Looks good, right? Wrong! Big mess up here. Before I started drilling the holes, I checked every measurement four or five times. Well, I drilled the bottom first and then when I started drilling the top, the top apparantly slipped and I ended up drilling out of edge tolerances. Gotta order a new rib. Darn it! Oh well...I guess the good thing about building the wings at the same time is that I can go on to the other one, start on the tank, etc. and hopefully the new rib will arrive shortly.
You know, it seems like every part I've had to replace I've screwed up late on a Friday evening, meaning that I have to wait until Monday to make the order. Really sucks.
While looking at the plans, I noticed that I also forgot to mark the location of the tiedown bar on the main skins. The plans have you mark lines on the main skins while the leading edge is off, and you later 'extend' the lines onto the leading edge telling you where to drill for the tiedown ring.
It ended up not being a big deal when I looked down at the skin, trying to figure out how to drill the hole. Well, the hole is pre-punched! Drilled it out with my unibit to 3/8 and the tiedown ring fits nice and snug. At least I did something right today!