Saturday October 9th, 2004|
Drilled Z-bracket Tops
First order of business today was to drill out the inboard-most z-brackets using the pre-punched holes in the inboard-most rib and baffle as a guide. Then I removed the leading edges to drill the outboard-most z-brackets (unforuntately I failed to get any pictures of this). Be sure to use a drill stop on your bit here your you could (probably will) hit the spar web. After that I removed the tank but left the baffle in place and match-drilled the z-brackets using the pre-punched holes in the baffle. Jaime took this shot of me drilling the z-brackets with the baffle in place.
There are also two platenuts that must get installed on the spar web for the inboard z-brackets to screw into. Jaime and I tried riveting them but it's impossible to get a bucking bar on the rear side of the spar. After talking to some folks at our EAA chapter I've decided to try back-riveting them.
In lieu of platenuts, I temporarily bolted the inboard z-bracket on with nuts and washers. I'll play with the platenuts when the z-brackets come back off for deburring, etc.
Later in the day I started drilling out the tank holes to final size.