Sunday October 10th, 2004|
Finished Drilling Tank; Fabricated Tank Attach Angles
Today I finished drilling out the tanks holes.
Then I countersunk the tank skin to baffle holes for the flush-head rivets. Those places on this picture are not scratches, it's actually Boelube smeared on there from the drilling process.
Oh yeah, this is my preferred method of countersinking. I like doing it with the surface vertical. This allows gravity to pull the shavings out of the way of the bit. If you countersink horizontally, the shavings tend to get caught in the microstop cage and will spin and scratch the surface.
Next I started fabricating the tank attach angles...gotta love that band saw!
Then I made the rough cuts for the curves.
Then I smoothed deburred them.
Another reinforcement plate goes on the other side of the attach angle and it took me a while to find it. Here it is! Just break it out of there like you used to do with your plastic model airplanes.
Then I clamped and drilled everything together through the root ribs.
And here are both tank root ribs with the angles and reinforcement plates drilled.
And here's the back-side of the plates...I still need to deburr these. Hopefully I can finish up the details of the wing this week then start sealing them next weekend!