Friday October 15th, 2004|
More Tank Prep
This week pretty much sucked. First of all, when I got ready to cut the access holes in the inboard tank ribs and I discovered that my fly cutter was too short. So I spent a while looking for one...calling other builders, etc. Almost NO ONE sells these things. Anyway...here you can see my cutter mounted in my cheap-o bench press.
After an e-mail from a couple of other builders, I decided I could probably modify this thing enough to make it work (it only needs a diameter of about 5.25 inches).
I ground down the safety retainer so that I could pull the arm out of the 'mandrel'.
Then I took a drill bit and put a little divit in the arm so that the plug (seen here) would fit in there and the arm wouldn't come flying out.
WARNING: I don't recommend you do this. This is simply how I made it work!
First I tested it on a wood piece to make sure the diameter was good and that my 'hack' would work, then I set out to commiting cutter to metal.
Here we go! Jaime took this through the garage door window for safety.
And here' s the end result after I cleaned it up a little with the brass handled deburring tool seen here to the left.
Then I clecoed/drilled the access plate rings to the ribs.
Here's the rib with the nutplate holes drilled.
Everything got deburred and cleaned and then I riveted on the rings with the platenuts.