Sunday March 13th, 2005|
Primed Flap Components; Finished Left Flap
Today my goal was to get one of the flaps finished. I started out by prepping and priming all the flap components, then I started riveting them together.
Let me just say that the plans here are really lacking. For example, they never tell you when to rivet the ribs to the 'rear spar'. Also, they have you rivet the spar on before the end ribs, which means that you wouldn't be able to set the inboard ribs since the flange is turned outboard.
Then plans say that this is the easiest control surface to build -- whatever. The ailerons were *much* easier in my opinion.
Next I riveted the ribs to the skins (I had to use my back-rivet plate as a bucking bar for the aft-most rivets). This took quite a while doing top and bottom.
Then I riveted the spar and hinge on. That sounds simple, but it was a multi-hour process I and I was too frustrated to take a picture. Setting the pop rivets on the spar are a bit difficult because of the leading edge skin. Anyway, maybe the second one will be faster. Suffice it to say, this wasn't fun. I probably worked on the project today a total of about 11 hours or so (and that's the conservative estimate).
Here it is sitting temporarily on the wing. Looks like I won't have any problems getting the trailing edges of the flaps and ailerons aligned.