Thursday April 28th, 2005|
More F-705 Fabricatation and Drilling
I was looking through my wallet today and found a gift card that I got last Christmas for Lowes...so I jetted over there during my lunch break. I bought some of these clamps. Yesterday's clamping episode was painfully slow using the c-clamps...these things make an excellent replacement.
First order of business today was to trim down the 705 spar doublers. These things get tapered down as seen on the drawing.
...And after some cutting on the band saw...boy....these things are really oxidized! They are getting the full treatment when I prime 'em.
Next I fabricated the re-inforcement angles (I forget the # right now) that are for the tip-up only. My band saw got a workout today and these are the pieces I had left. I just throw the trimmings (that I'm unlikely to use) into the recycle bin.
I got slowed up a bit during the cutting because the band saw kept jumping off it's rollers. I figured out that the tension was set a little too low. I tightened it up a bit and had no more problems.
Here you can see the rest of the 705 clecoed together (except the upper cross member). Everything got drilled together including the reinforcement brackets. Here you see one of the brackets clamped in place while I drilled it out.
...here's the close up...note the notch in the center that gets cut out for the tip-up canopy latch.
I decided to use this tip to try to grind out the canopy latch notch. Hmm..yeah....whatever. I bought this dremel and 50 dollars of accessories thinking that it would be useful. I haven't found a single thing yet on this project where the dremel was even a little helpful.
Next I started searching for the bearing blocks. These things come in the same bag as the flap motor, if you're wondering.
There were all sorts of cool things in that flap bag...I can't WAIT to get to the point where I'm putting that stuff in.
I started drilling the bearing blocks but then decided to head in to spend a little time with Jaime. She's going out of town this weekend so I wanted to spend at least a little time with her (this weekend is hopefully going to be VERY productive).
Oh yeah...here are the reinforcement angles after being drilled. Note the notch on the left which is still in process...I gotta find something that works a little better for this stuff.