Saturday May 14th, 2005|
Built Two Sawhorses; Clecoed/Started Drilling Aft Fuselage
Today I made great progress, if only visually. I started out this morning by building a couple of sawhorses. Then I started clecoing together the aft fuselage. You start with the bottom skin, seen here.
Jaime took this picture after I had clecoed the bulkheads to the bottom skin. Here I'm playing with the j-channel stiffeners that run through some little slots that are notched out in each bulkhead. I have the F-706 bulkhead clecoed in here...don't do that. You really need to have it out first so that you can insert the j-channel stringers in and out as you're fitting them.
...and with the -706 gone, I'm clecoing on the side skins.
...this is just way too much fun to be legal...yes the vertical piece is suppose to be off-center.
The j-chan stiffeners that terminate at a bulkhead have to get a little notch cut into them so that a piece of the channel can to slide between the bulkhead and the skin. You can sort of see in the picture where the tab is at on the bulkhead. I made that little mark to make sure that I trimmed down the correct part of the j-channel. I trimmed down the stringers and re-inserted them.
Then the aft assembly gets clecoed on. This thing doesn't fit well at all...
...se what I mean. This is a close-up of the left side of the aft-most bulkhead and the fit.
...so I removed the aft-most assembly and played with the skin for a while and I finally got it to fit better....this picture wasn't the final form...continue for the final shot of the fit.
Ahhh...the side of the fuselage. It's sooooooo easy to imagine the wind whipping around the side of this thing, a wing hanging out there..the Earth 8000 feet below...oh man!
The plans have you drop a couple of plumb bobs before you start match-drilling everything. It's hard to see what I was doing here...but I am lining up the tip of the plumb bob with the a cleco stuck in the center tooling hole on the aft-most bulkhead (the alignment isn't right in this picture).
...I had to take this picture while sitting there....
The Tundra is lurking outside, wondering what this strange contraption taking form in the garage is that's taking it's parking spot.
At the aft end I aligned the tip of the plumb bob with a tooling hole that's there. it looks like the aft bottom skin has a little kink over on the right...but it really doesn't. What you're seeing there is the vinyl pulled up.
I started drilling the j-stringers to the skins and my neighbor was walking by to check out the project. He builds and races cars so he's real into anything that makes noise and goes fast. He wasn't seen the project up close since I was working on the empennage...so needless to say it was a bit impressed with the progress even though I feel sometimes like it's taking me forever.