Monday September 12th, 2005|
Mulling ELT Install; Fixed Some Rivets
Ok...time to get busy on the project again after a weekend off. I went camping up on Lake Lanier and we rode waverunners, etc. Was a lot of fun. I kept watching the airplanes fly over...seemed mostly like students doing maneuvers and of course my mind drifted to the RV and how cool it will be once it's done. Heck...it's cool now just sitting in the garage...it's going to be a BLAST when it's done. Anyway..you can see that I received my ELT that I ordered from Van's. This pretty much comes as a full package...antenna, panel-mounted remote control, coax, etc.
I thought about putting the ELT under the baggage floors. Ideally the only time the ELT needs to come out is during the annual insection in order to change the batteries...so I don't think having it under the floor would be that inconvenient. The distance between the baggage floor and the bottom skin tapers narrower on the way back...so if I put the ELT at the aft end of the baggage compartment, I'm not really going to have much run. The ELT w/ the bracket is about 3.1 inches...and the aft-most point of the baggage rib is about 3 inches...so obviously I can't put it where you see it in the picture. I could bring it farther forward, which is something I could potentially do. Most likely though I'll end up shoving it behind the baggage wall since I plan on putting a C/S prop on nose wheel on this thing...I could use some weight a little farther back. Anyway...we'll see what I end up doing. I'll probably figure this out before I paint the interior.
I also order these bolts from Van's (shipped w/ the ELT) to complete my step setup. Note that the bolts are two different sizes...although they're supposed to be the same. I need to call Van's and have them send me another one.
Oh yeah...this weekend was also my birthday and Jaime got me this awesome watch. This is without a doubt the best watch I have ever owned. Pilots will note that it has an E6B flight computer built-in to the face. Very, very cool.
You'll also notice that I fixed the rivets I mentioned on the 8th. This took quite a while 'cause it required the removal of the forward-most aft top skin which was clecoed on. This takes quite a while. Anyway...I fixed these rivets (removed the universal-head rivets and replaced with flush-head rivets) and reclecoed the top skin back on.
I worked a little late today so there was no significant progress on the RV, unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.