Saturday November 26th, 2005|
Wing Root Nutplates; Started Cabin Frame
Today I continued with the nutplates on the wing roots. I got all the nutplates aft of the spar done. The tank nutplates are a little more difficult with my wing stand setup. Someone with a sling-type cradle would have no problem...but mine doesn't give you the best access down there...so I'm putting it off until later. I may wait until I get it to the airport and I have more room to lay the wings out there. If I decide to paint before taking it to the airport, I'll do 'em then.
Next I finished prepping the wing root fairings. These these are very long and awkward. When the wings were on the fuse and I fit the fairings, I had to trim about 1/8 or more off each one with the band saw which necessitated a lot of filing and smoothing with the scotch-brite wheel. Kind of gives you a feeling for how a scratch-builder or early kit RV builder must have felt like. ;-)
Wow...what's this contraption? Yep...time to fit the empennage. But...after I bought this thing down and fit the elevators I realized that I don't have a 1/4 O.D. bushing to drill the two elevators through the bearing.......so......this is getting put off until I can get that order place. I know the part...and it's no big deal because I can do all the cabin frame stuff before fitting the empennage...no problem at all.
You know..after taking a look at this h-stab it hits me how much I've learned over the last couple of years doing this stuff. My skills have really improved. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing at all unsafe or unacceptable about my work on the empennage, but I can really see why some builders will re-build their empennage late into the project.
Oh yeah..I did make this little tool for inserted the bolts into the elevators. I stole this idea from Sam Buchannan's website. You can buy similar tools from Aircraft Spruce...but it's easier to just make one. Took all of 2 minutes.
This picture is blurry..but it gives you an idea how it works. You insert the bolt into the slotted hole on the lower part and the upper part sort of grips the bolt head allowing you to ease the bolt through the bearing.
Since I can't work on mounting the empennage right now, I decided to go ahead and work on the cabin frame. I started fabbing all the little brackets and angles needed here. Believe it or not, this stuff took a couple of hours to make. There are some interesting shapes in these parts that may not be obvious in this picture.
You start out with these little channels. It's funny, the kit has 6 of these channels and I couldn't figure out what the other two are for. Then it hit me...two of them get riveted to the forward part of the canopy while the other four get built as part of the cabin frame. Anyway..I measured and remeasured and studied the plans, etc. I think I know what needs to happen here, but I'm holding off for tomorrow. Believe it or not, this was a full day in the shop.