Friday December 30th, 2005|
More Aileron Trim Work; Riveted Side Channels
Today is my last vacation day and this morning I got up and drove down to the Nearest Sherwin Williams Automotive store. The sales guy there was fantastic. He really answered my questions pretty well. I picked up some SW Ultra Acrylic Urathane, requisite etching primer, etc. I'm still not convinced that I need the etching primer he sold me. I think that others have had good luck with the GBP 988 primer and shooting the urathane directly on top of it. Whatever...gotta ask around to see what I should do. Anyway, on the way home I stopped by the store and picked up some more drill bits, including a 1/16th inch bit. When I got home I drilled the cotter pin hole in the aileron trim tube, shoved the pin through and turned it into an 'anchor'.
Next the plans have you run the servo to the stops in order to find the center of travel. This is done by marking the servo actuator arm itself, but I wanted to hook up the provided LED indicators to see what the deal is. Well, I'm not all that impressed with these indicators. They would be fine (they're dimmable, etc)...if and only if...they had an ODD number of LED's. They have an even number (10) which means that the LED can never indicate center.,..it will always indicate one side or the other. That's completely lame in my point of view. In the picture above you can see what I mean...the servo is centered but since there are 10 LED's, there are 4 on the left and 5 on the right of the indicated position. The only other indicators that I'm aware of are the RAC needle type and the built-in trim indicators on the ACS2002 (or whatever they're calling it now). This is going to bug me to no end if I put it in my airplane but I may have no other choice if I want an electric trim indicator (required, in my opinion).
Anyway, I was hoping to drill the servo to the appropriate seat rib today but that ain't happening. I need a threaded drill #28 bit for my angle drill attachment so I'll have to hold off on this aileron trim until I get it.
I went ahead and fitted/drilled/removed/deburred/primed/reinstalled/riveted the side channels.