Thursday January 19th, 2006|
Reconstructed Brake Pedals
Back when I ordered my fuselage I decided that I was only going to install pilot-side brakes. Then I started getting serious about the possibility of making this airplane IFR capable and decided that if I do take IFR instruction in the airplane it would probably be preferable for any instructor in the left seat to have brakes -- so I ordered the dual brake kit. Back when I built the pilot side brakes pedals (see here, I had misread the plans. The plans said to put the flush head of the rivets aft. I looked at the pedals and thought...oh aft...that's the 'other side' of the pedal...and I put the flush head on the back side of the pedal instead of the front (in spite of wondering to myself why in the world they had you do that in the plans...should've been a clue). Anyway, today I drilled apart the pilot brakes and reconstructed those and the pax brakes.
Here's a slightly closer shot.
And here I started bolting the master cylinders to the rudder bars. I still need to put the cotter pins in there but I'm going to make sure I get everything the way I want it before I do that. I need to drill the holes for the master cylinders on the passenger's side but it's already late and I'm tired and don't want to screw it up...so I'll wait until tomorrow.
Let me tell you, this is the real fun part of the project. Knowing that this stuff is going in for (hopefully) the final time is real rewarding. I've decided to complete the brake plumbing and fuel line plumbing (including fuel selector) before venturing into the canopy. That way after the canopy is done I can dive straight into wiring.
Oh yeah...this is one of those evenings where you actually do a good bit of work but don't notice it. I worked on these things for quite a few hours.