Wednesday March 1st, 2006|
Riveted Canopy Frame (Minus Skin)
Today I set out to get the canopy frame finished up. I started by drilling everything out to full size (I had previously drilled the C-613 splice plates to #40 instead of #40). Then I started drilling the bottom flanges. Take my advise...do not drill the holes in the lower flanges on the 613 first. Drill it on the frame channels. Trust me...it's really hard to get a bit in there to drill it from the inside. I threw everything I had at it...angle drill, 12-inch drill bit, etc. Nothing worked. Just drill it from the outside (bottom) and you'll do better than me. On the left side I screwed up the 613 (the bit creeped quite a bit as I was drilling) so I had to make another one. The second one I made a bone-headed mistake on it so I had to make up a third one. I used some scrap material I had around. Feels good to screw something up completely and fix it without having to place an order. Anyway, I managed to get the splice plates riveted into place except for the wedges that don't quite fit right.
And here's a view from the inside. I just shot some primer on the back side of the bracket and on the canopy frame where it attaches. You can see that the wedge at the front part is not riveted as mentioned above.