Wednesday March 22nd, 2006|
Drilled The Plexi
Today I finally felt well enough and I got the garage warm enough to drill the canopy. It took several hours of running the space heater but it finally got there. Anyway, this really turned out to be a non-event. I discovered that the best method of drilling the plexi is to spin the bit fast but apply very light pressure. This basically causes the bit to melt the plastic as it goes though. Anyway, I drilled everything out to 1/8.
Here's the inside of the canopy frame. Where you see clecos holding the plexi to the frame you will eventually see lock nuts and screws.
And here's the right side, the side that was the most troublesome for me. Yep...came out pretty good. The left side of the canopy doesn't line up nicely with the side of the fuselage so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. It's hair too far inboard. I'll probably just use some shims/doublers on the side skirts to fill out to the edge of the fuselage. We'll see. It's a minor cosmetic issue. I'm just glad I was able to cut and drill this canopy without cracking it so far. There's still the chance of cracking it when I drill out the holes to final size, but hopefully that won't be a problem.
I picked up the canopy just a little make sure the frame would clear the rollbar when it's opened. Yep...no problem.
Still need to do some minor trimming along the backside of the plexi and drill/trim the aft window.