Sunday May 7th, 2006|
Canopy Fairing; Radio Cutout Done; More Panel Cuts
Pretty big day on the project today. I started out by doing some more sanding the canopy fairing and then priming it with sandable automotive primer to see what I had. It looks a little rough at first then I started sanding it with fine grit...and holy cow...it had a lot of boogers in it but it looked like something that was store bought. I didn't get any pictures of it after I sanded it but I'll be sure to get as many as possible after I'm finished.
Next I continued working on the hole for the radios. I *finally* got it to the point that I was satisfied. They fit very snug in there and there's no gap on the sides. There's a small gap at the top but I'm going to take care of that by mounting the radios at the top of the hole.
Next I started filling in the boggers on the canopy fairing. I mixed the micro + epoxy pretty wet this time in order to be able to get it into the pinholes. Hopefuly this will be the last (yeah right) filling on this thing and I can call it done.
Back over the instrument panel, I punched the hole for the compass. Yes, I'm using a whiskey compass. It's my plane...my perogative. And yes...I know that I can't use those screws. You have to use brass screws for the compass.
Next I finished drilling all the screw holes for the instruments in my unconventionally oriented six-pack. I used a long straight edge and lined the bottom of the jig against it. Worked very well and this is the way I recommend doing it.
Next I cut out the hole for the pitch trim. This actually took quite a long session of filing in order to get it to just the right size. There is a small bezel around the unit (meaning it hide's crappy cutting jobs) but the bezel on the sizes is only about 1/32 or so...so there's no much room for error. After getting the hole cut to size I used my center punch and punched the two screw hole locations then removed the indicator and drilled the holes.
The aileron trim indicator will be centered directly above this one.