Monday May 29th, 2006|
Panel Cutting Mostly Done
Today I started out by riveting the forward center rib. No real reason not to do this now. I made sure to put a spacer between the rib and the firewall to provide for the hat section that I'm not installing. If you'll built or are building a tip-up side-by-side RV you know exactly what I'm talking about.
I also finished all the major drilling for the panel. I'm almost certain that they'll be other things that I've forgotten but this is the major stuff and I believe I can now paint the panel. I've sort of struggled with what color to paint the panel. I'm thinking I'm just going to paint it the gray that I've been using on the rest of the interior. I've thought about using the same color that's on the powder-coated parts, but I keep going back and thinking that it will probably make the panel too bright in the bright light. I would prefer it be subdued. Also I've heard that bright colored panels tend to show up as reflections in the canopy more. Don't know if that's true or just an old "builder's tale", but I think there is at least some validity to it. Who knows. When it gets sprayed I'll be able to tell you the color I'm using. ;-)
I also decided to apply a little UHMW tape to the subpanel penetration. There was a little slack in there and this tightens it up...plus it provides a nice smooth surface to protect the butt-end of the radio trays.