Tuesday May 30th, 2006|
Key Switch Anti-rotation; Began Installing Vents
What is this? Well, this is the VFR pre-punched panel that you can get from Van's. When I first started building I was going to use one of these panels because it would be a) very quick to build and b) very easy since there's little or no additional cutting involved. I decided against using it because I want to use an engine monitor. In my opinion there's not much logic in using cheap gauges to monitor to engine that costs more than my 2004 Toyota Tundra. So anyway, one of the things the pre-punched panel has is a hole for a mag key switch. This hole would be a pain to make because it has an anti-rotation tab sticking out into the hole. I'm cutting this hole out and riveting it to the *back* of the hole I've already drilled for the key switch. This will provide anti-rotation for the key switch. Anyway, in the picture above you can see the square I'm cutting out. You'll also notice that the square is not aligned with the layout of the panel. For whatever reason, the keyswitch layout on the pre-punched panel is crooked. The key switch comes with a little label overlay and when it's laid up on this panel it sits diagonally. Anyway, I'm cutting it out straight. 'Nuff said.
Next I decided to get the vents installed. The vents are one of the things I really need to get out of the way before I start putting too many wires behind the panel. I made up these vent brackets for the vents. I copied the ones that came with the vents because I didn't like how they fit. They use a bend and in my opinion are too rigid to be attached to the .032 side skin. Many people have reported cracking in that area. I think the cracking can be mitigated by using a .032 angle to attach the vent mount to the side skin. Anyway...that's just what I think and there's really no scientific validity to this approach...just my gut feeling. Once these vents are ready to go in I am ready to paint the panel.