Saturday August 12th, 2006|
More V-stab Mounting
I worked on the project yesterday, but basically I just made this tie-down bracket. Today I drilled, primed and riveted it to the aft bulkhead. The trick I used for drilling it was to match-drill the tie-down to some scrap sheet, then use the sheet as a drill guide so I could drill the holes (undersized) from the aft side of the bulkhead. The angle drill attachment is good, but I like to avoid using it whenever possible because it requires you to use both hands for the drilling process. anyway...nevermind my little slip on the upper right.
Next I checked, rechecked and checked again the measurements of the vertical stabilizer. Measuring from the ends of the h-stab to the vertical stab yielded no visible difference. That was before I drilled this plate. After canting the forward-most part of the vertical stab 1/4 of an inch, it throws the measurements from the top of the spar off.
Man...nevermind my waaay too crappy primer job on the empennage. Do yourself a BIG favor and just don't even get any of the SW P60G2 that's used on the QB's. I have to say that my abilities, while far from award-winning, have improved considerably since I started this project.
Here you can see where the front spar of the v-stab gets drilled to the mounting plate that sets the offset. Just four more holes on the lower end of the aft v-stab spar and I can say that the emp mounting is done.