Tuesday December 19th, 2006|
Installed All Camlocks
Today was my first day of vacation (I'm off 'til the New Year!!!). I'm really hoping to kick some serious butt on the project this week. Ron Brown came over today to borrow some tools and while he was here some nice Mormon youth came by. They had a good time looking at the project and they asked plenty of questions.
Anyway...I got all the top and side camlocks installed. First I had to correct the issue I mentioned in the last post about the receptacle being mounted in the wrong location. I didn't get a picture of the fix, but suffice it to say it's fixed.
Here's a shot of the side of the fuselage. You can see that I riveted the camlock mounting strips to the side skins/firewall.
One small issue that I'm having is the mounting strip sitting on top of the honeycomb portion of the cowl. It's causing the cowl to slightly bulge away from the fuselage. I'll need to either grind down that portion of the cowl and/or grind off a little of the mounting strip.
Here you can see the bulging.
I also continued searching for ideas related to the oil door. I'm not sure if I'm going to use hidden hinges or what.
These camlocks are interesting. You basically screw them in and out to get the studs flush with the grommets and then you can pull this little black plastic piece from the camlock and at that point the anti-rotation tab will stick into the threaded insert which will 'enable' the quarter-turn functionality.