Friday December 29th, 2006|
Dynon EMS re-installed; FAB swiss cheese; GPS antenna
Today I received my Dynon EMS back from service. I installed it and everything seems to be working. Before plugging it back in I triple-checked the wiring again and installed a temporary engine ground strap (I'm ordering a flexible strap in my next electrical order). Anyway...everything seems to be working fine now. Hopefully I'll have no more issues.
Next I started modifying the air box for the mixture arm (on my servo it points directly down). Van's gives you a little formed piece of aluminum for this but it's a little small. Anyway...I cut away some of the side of the airbox and then made a mold out of foam for how I want to glass to look.
Then I laid up a couple of pieces of BID in the mold. I was a little uncertain if I should have done a concave or convex mold here. I decided on concave from in retrospect perhaps convex would have been better.
While waiting on my layups to dry I decided to solder the antenna lead for the GPS. Then I ran some coax out the garage window and checked the antenna to make sure it works. Yep...works perfectly. It took it quite a while to lock onto the satellites but it eventually worked fine.
Next I started working on a GPS mount for under the cowl. I made up this little tray. I think it will work well. I'm going to install gussets in lieu of support angles. The gussets just make more sense. I'm also going to install a doubler on the aft side of the firewall and make this mount removable with screws.